Friday, August 17, 2007

Thank God We Have Pet (Scam) Insurance ...


That's exactly what I thought, thank God we have pet insurance with
VPI Pet Insurance (their website is www.petinsurance.com , based on what I read they own the majority of this market ) , the reason why is because our dog April, who is 6 years old after today's walk could not walk anymore on her right rear leg, her kneecap was popped out (ouch) , we got on the phone with the vet, who said we can try to pull her leg a little bit, and try to pop it back, tried it, did not work . Ended up taking her later that day back to the vet, for him to try and he ended up confirming she needed surgery.

It did not even cross my mind that it would cost us $1500 (per knee) , since we bought the pet insurance (the very best VPI Pet Insurance) that the vet recommended . So when we called VPI Pet Insurance they said, that they do not cover luxation patella (knee cap) surgery. When I asked why (after finding out through my schedule of benefits that elbow and hip luxation IS covered) her exact answer verbatim was "we need to keep our cost down"! WOW !!! I responded with you can take my $30 a month for a year and half but you need to keep your cost down!

I did not go through the whole policy but I am sure they cover earthquakes, tsunamis and Armageddons, but nothing that is related to knee cap surgery for our pet . But seriously, you get a five page schedule of benefits looking like your pet is covered for everything (except pre-exisiting and I understand that, and not the case in this situation), what a joke.
So it just confirmed what I initially thought , before we bought pet insurance for our pet . It`s worth nothing , they list you a bunch of things that they cover, but that has probably never happened to an animal in the last decade or so .

After doing some more research I found some other reviews about pet insurance scams, so I thought it is worth bringing some attention to it, at least hopefully someone else in the future will be able to save some money, or headache , when you expect a $1500 surgery for your pet to be covered.

"..I have VPI (petinsurance.com), and while I have had good experiences with them through a couple claims for my dog - wart removal and some stitches, I did have a bit of a customer service issue with them when my dog needed major stuff done - he got away from my wife to chase a deer and got hit by a car and fractured his leg and needed pins/plates.

VPI was great with the reimbursement, but it was far lower than their claimed minimum for his injury. When I called VPI, the customer service person *could not* explain to me what was going on. It was ridiculous and frustrating, going around in circles, her just reading to me from the materials I already had. She wouldn't let me talk to a manager, and we ended the call both very frustrated, her agreeing to research the situation. She never called back.

The whole thing was weird - we just kept going in circles, her unable to do the math which for me was very clear. ANYWAY, I called them back and spoke with somebody different who knew what was up right away - they had updated the claim schedule and for whatever reason dropped what they were willing to reimburse for his injury WAY down. The claim schedule I was looking at was outdated, even though the injury happened within the old claim schedule, the reimbursement was based on the newer claim schedule.

The short of it is that despite the frustration, I'm still a member because the money I have received from them is still more than I have paid to them, however I've read quite a bit of complaints from people. One common complaint is that they will blame some injury on a 'prior condition' and refuse to reimburse, even for stuff that is clearly not a prior condition, like cut or something...." source : metafilter.com


Read customer complaints about Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI ) on Consumer Affairs


"....Worthless Insurance Company
This company is worthless. I filed 3 different claims and all 3 were denied because of BS exclusions by their underwriting department. Customer service is completely useless as well... they say they are bound by their policies and don't offer any sort of customer satisfaction. I HIGHLY recommend shopping elsewhere... this company is a joke. I wish I would have started with another company instead... "
source: angry customer talking about VPI (www.petinsurance.com) on Pet Insurance Review



Unfortunately, it seems to me that people who care about their pets are an easy target for pet insurance companies . People who love their pets, they take care of them and most of them sure buy insurance because they do not want to put them at risk, but unfortunately most of these people are inexperienced in this area and fall for these companies easy .

In my opinion pet insurances are like any other insurance companies, all they want is to pay the least amount of money out, and you will know it when your dog or cat is about to undergo surgery, and you will have to come up with the $, because your pet (scam) insurance company does not provide assistance for problems that occur to most of the pets .

Do you know anyone else who had a similar experience with their pet insurance company ?
Share it , blog it, get the word out so other people won`t fall for the same like you did .

Related Articles :

- 10 things the pet industry won`t tell you - on smartmoney.com

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I have 4 dogs and 2 cats, and all but the 2 cats have pet insurance. 3 of
the dogs are with VPI Pet Insurance, and the 4th dog is with Pets Health Plan
by the Hartville Group. Since I have had pet insurance, so far neither of the
companies have had to payout for anything, as my dogs have remained healthy.
However, my dog, Sugar, who is insured with Pets Health Plan fell last week
and hurt her back badly. My vet said that the injury might heal on its own,
but if not, back surgery would be necessary. Either way, I wasn't too worried
because I had pet insurance, and it covered accidents, of course. In fact, each
and every plan offered by Pets Health Plan covers accidents and injuries.

However, this past weekend, I did some research and found out how the
plans at Pets Health Plan work, and I am absolutely horrified. You see,
Sugar's plan was renewed, and the effective date for the new plan period is
December 15th. There is an exclusion with Pets Health Plan that states that
if an illness or injury occurs in one plan period, any treatment for that
illness
or injury that is done in the next plan period is NOT covered. Basically, this
means I can take my dog to the vet now, but unless her back injury is treated
(that is, unless the surgery is done) by December 15th, it will NOT be covered
by Pets Health Plan. The other option is to just not take her to the vet and
basically let her suffer until December 15th, to make sure any back surgery
would be covered. By the way, this back surgery will cost anywhere from
$5000 - $8000, and so, you can understand why I need to make sure this is
covered.

Fortunately, I have a friend who is a veterinary technician, and she has
given me some medication for Sugar to ease the pain until I can figure out
what to do. Pet insurance should NOT work this way. Coverage for an illness
or injury should not be dependent on when in a plan period the illness or injury
occurred. If the illness or injury is covered, then the insurance should pay --
period.

Incidentally, I talked with my 2nd pet insurance company, and their plans
do NOT work this way. Instead, they have a payout "cap" for each illness or
injury. So, for each illness or injury, they will pay for any treatment anytime
up to a certain monetary cap. This is reasonable to me.

Anyways, I thought this information might prove useful to you. If you
want to talk to Pets Health Plan, they can be reached at US +1 8008076724 Call .
And, if you have any other questions for me, feel free to email me back at johnson.marysue@tds.net.

dancilhoney said...

Everyone should be careful choosing there insurance for there pets. Nice comment powersms. vet pet insurance

Anonymous said...

Always make sure that you get the right insurance for you dear beloved pets. You can be deceived by many with that.
asda pet insurance

Pet Insurance said...

Its really very good. Everyone must be careful choosing there insurance for their pets. Pet insurance

Dr. Salman said...

It’s important to take proper care for your pet, if you have a pet you have to take so many responsibilities related to your pet.


pershing square

Dr. Salman said...

It’s important to take proper care for your pet, if you have a pet you have to take so many responsibilities related to your pet.


pershing square

Dylani said...

awesome post........
This blog is ever amazing. Thanks

Adventure

Unknown said...

Hello,

good and very interesting post to read..:-)
thanks for sharing your this post and keep posting such post here in future too. it would be nice if you can share some information related to Dentist Chatswood here in your future posts..

Thanks,

Unknown said...

I wished I had seen this before going through the ASPCA pet health insurance they have the worst customer service,and took 6 weeks with absolutely not 1 phone call or e-mail to us while processing my claim,(for of course they denied,saying the surgery was preventive for a "hereditary condition")So 3 years of pouring my hard earned money in for something that I only had to use 1X,to have it all thrown in my face.

James Abram said...

Maybe next time you should not purchase pet insurance but instead save money for medical purposes. Like your post, I also found something interesting in insurance scam Philippines